Friday, March 7, 2014

Myth vs. Reality

So here I am.
 21. minimally employed, unqualified and attempting to commit myself to a blog for the 'lets not talk about itth' time. 

I suppose I could go off into some ambitious fantasy about changing the world or how glorious my life is. The reality is that I'm actually sitting at the dining room table, in the newly created dining room of my eclectic Brisbane sharehouse, debating exactly how lazy I'm going to be with regards to lunch- toast is looking pretty damn good right now. 

Given it's my first post I feel it appropriate to give a myth vs reality summary of my life. Dear Reader (aka close friend or relative I've probably bribed into reading this) please forgive me for the following. 

Hang on, I'm going to get some toast 

Ok back, Now I'm sufficiently toastastified lets get started

Myth 1: 
 "I'm just taking some time to myself to really figure out what I want to do with my life and studying distance TAFE as a stop gap" 

Ok let me burst that bubble for you right now. Unless you're a relative with exceedingly high expectations then you've probably clued into the four things that really means.
1. I really have no clue what I want in life
2. I'm really freaking lazy
 3. I'm somewhat intimidated by my friends/ roommates who seem to be in some weird cylon farm breeding new super degree's
and 4. I've looked at my assignments.......repeatedly, in different internet browsers and at different times.

Myth 2:
"I know! I'm going to (Insert somewhat unrealistic goal that results in all 5 days of commitment)!"

The amount of times I've bounded to my friends, on an upward swing of hormones or liquid personality, with some brilliant scheme that inevitably fell apart within the first week is almost cruel. These schemes have included the groundbreaking genius of  blogging, finishing university, becoming a nanny, dieting, starting my own bussiness and travelling to Asia this year. Sufficient to say most, and by most I mean all, of these schemes fell apart well within the incubation period, however not without their small additions to my general knowledge. There might be an underlying fear of commitment or failure here, but, as you can see, I'm deeply committed to continuing to fail to commit.  

Myth 3: 
"I'm soooo busy this week"
Busy (adj): The state of which Cara's week is filled with social reps, gym, 2 shifts of work, publically declaring her need to do laundry, and a metric F'ton of half starting projects  and watching t.v series to the point of almost full episode quotation. 

Myth 4:
"I'm very much involved in politics" 
 There is a big difference between having a photo of yourself and the former prime minister/s on your wall and actually doing something. Although this stuff does sound great on an internet dating profile ...... and that brings me to Myth 5

Myth 5:  
"I'm really happy being single" 
Ok maybe there are some people who genuinely are, and if you're one of them - ROCK ON. But I'm not, and the "I'm really happy being single" line is really just a verbal sock in the mouth for together people who find it necessary to remind single people of the fact our biological, social, emotional, sexual orientation, god knows what clocks are ticking. I'm not happy being single, I just accept it- much in the same way I've accepted that I will never, ever be a geneticist (Not that I ever really wanted too- don't you need math for that???) 

Anyway. That's me for now. Hopefully I haven't lost too much respect over this post and hopefully I actually make another in the next decade. 



No comments:

Post a Comment