Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Becoming "That Girl"

Hey Guys!

So it's January 27th and I initially planned to write this post on January 30th but I'm having a housewarming party and will probably be wayy too tired to do it the next day so I've decided to do it tonight.

Anyway. A recent post I made was about my story and although I didn't really go into detail about the weight and body image aspect of my life, I hope you guys gathered the general gist of it.

In case you didn't, I grew up in a family with a very dominant obesity gene. I was pretty lucky though and despite suffering body image issues for other reasons, I maintained a size 12-16 through high school and then prior to May last year, a size 12.

So naturally, not only did I grow up with the importance of healthy eating being drilled into my head but also having a serious judgement for anyone who was "That Girl"

You know who "That Girl" is. Her postal address is the gym, Her Instagram is responsible for the invention of #cleaneating and the Activewear Song was written about her. She's the single most annoying person you know and I, for one, HATED her.

But here's the crazy thing. As I'm watching myself become "That Girl", I'm learning some pretty cool stuff about her. She's got a really positive outlook on life. Challenges that come her way aren't the end of the world, they're just challenges that she knows she can overcome. Her anxiety is so much better managed and in the hours after her workout- she's that bit happier.

A year ago food was an emotional crutch for me. Every week I'd scourer the supermarket catalogue to see if my favourite treats were on sale. I still do that, but now its accompanied by squeals of joy as I discover avocados are on sale.

If any of you read my post on January 1st about how this "isn't some new years resolution and I'll actually stick with it" and were secretly thinking "Yeah right Cara, this won't last the month"  then you weren't alone. That thought ran through my head every day of the first 2 weeks, and honestly it still creeps back in there sometimes. But here I am nearly 1 month later and I'm still going. I'm so proud of myself for coming this far. Of continuously trying to eat healthier and exercise even when it was the last thing I wanted to do.

In other exciting news: I'm starting TAFE again next week and to be honest I'm super nervous about repeating the course I failed last year. But as one of my mentors pointed out, I've got a serious advantage this time. I know what caused me to fail last time. I know what's coming and how to be fully prepared for it. This time, I believe in myself!

Being "That Girl" is exhausting, fun, intense, crazy, scary and the best decision I've ever made.

Sorry Instagram, but I'll never be joining this bandwagon










No comments:

Post a Comment